Sunday, March 6, 2011

Natural Products Expo West 2011

Next week I will be attending and exhibiting at Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, CA. I thought it would be interesting to share with you in a little more detail what the Expo is and what the anticipated trends are for 2011.

Expo West is the world’s largest natural, organic and healthy products trade show. In addition to over 3000 exhibits there are many educational seminars and events to attend to as well. I have attended many shows over the last year and the Natural Products Expo is by far my favorite show to attend.

One trend I expect to see this year is Functional Foods. Unfortunately, the Food and Drug Administration does not use this term but they do regulate claims that manufacturers can make about functional foods. Functional foods are foods that may have a health benefit beyond the nutrients it contains. I am a huge supporter of functional foods. To me, this is about eating smart.

Functional Ingredients Magazine has provided their 2011 functional foods trends (shown below). It will be interesting to see how their information matches up with what I will see next week at the show.

2011 Functional Food Trends

  • Krill
  • Omega-3 fatty acid
  • Polyphenols
  • Probiotics
  • Stevia
  • Vitamin K2
  • Vitamin D

Innova Market Trends and Trends from New Nutrition Business
  • Digestive Health- #1 trend for 2011
  • Processed is out-Focus on clean labeling
  • Proven is the new buzzword-Personalized nutrition
  • Culinary Expansion-Indulgence at Home
  • Relaxation Paradigm-Minimize stress
  • Fruit and Vegetable Revival (sad that it ever died). Anyway, back to basics.
  • Superfruits-mango, blueberry, cranberry, grape and pomegranate
  • Healthy Convenient Foods and Beverage
  • Energy drinks
  • Antioxidants
  • Healthy Snacking
  • Weight Management (7th most significant food trend)

A couple things that stood out to me on the second list were Culinary Expansion and Weight Management. As a Dietitian, I am a little disturbed to see that Weight Management is actually a trend. The Organization for Economic Cooperation released a new study indicated that three out of four Americans will be overweight by 2020. Let's hope this weight management trend becomes more about a permanent lifestyle change.

I can't tell you how excited I am to hear that culinary expansion topped the list. I think we can thank the Food Network for this. People are learning to be creative with their cooking. I think this is the best way to manage a healthy lifestyle but it is also a great way to save money. You can cook a healthy gourmet meal at home for far less money than going to a restaurant. An idea, start a dinner club with your friends. Dinner clubs should be hands on. Everyone is in the kitchen preparing the meal while enjoying great company. This is a great way to learn from each other and be social. Did you know that spending time with your friends on a regular basis may add an additional 2-5 years to your life according to Dr. Tom Perls, MD? Dr. Perls studies centenarians at Boston University and developed a longevity quiz based on the latest research on what factors help strengthen a women’s life. You can find this quiz in March’s Health Magazine.

Well fellow foodies, I am excited to report back to you my findings from the Natural Products Expo. Please stay tuned. I have a lot of fun activities planned this month and I look forward to sharing all of them with you. In the middle of the March, I will be heading to Napa Valley for some continuing education at the Culinary Institute of America. I will be exploring the flavor and health benefits of world cuisines from Asia and Latin America to the Mediterranean. I can’t wait!


Happy March!





1 comment:

  1. Had an amazing BBQ tonight. Ground Turkey, diced red onion, cilantro, fresh garlic, two table spoons of A-1. Throw on the grill and serve with fresh avacado, in a lettuce wrap with a little dijon mustard. YUM! Of course serve with your favorite N.W beer. My favorite for the spring is Deschutes Red Chair. Very Good!

    ReplyDelete