Friday, February 18, 2011

A Visit from my Mother

It had been almost a year and a half since my mom journeyed from one side of the state to the other to pay me a visit. Between my hectic schedule, questionable pass conditions, and mom fully enjoying retirement, it seems like our schedules never conformed. I shouldn’t complain since I do see her more than I have in years.

During mom’s visits, I always like to cook her something special. Something she really enjoys or would not necessary always makes for herself. There are two dishes/foods that mom fancies; chicken marsala and lamb. I had already made chicken marsala for her when I lived in New Mexico but, I really haven’t made her anything with lamb. I have to admit, until recently I never got too creative with lamb. Years ago, my husband tried it and hated it. So, it was as if it was written off for life. Not long ago, my husband gave it another try and actually liked it. This was a common thing with him, especially when we first met. Over the years, he has added more foods than I can recall back on the “like” board.

Prior to mom’s visit, I tested a lamb kebob recipe that looked super easy, fresh and healthy. Overnight, I marinated the lamb in olive oil, garlic and grated ginger. The next day, I assembled the kebobs with red onion and fresh mint. Once they were on the skewers, I seasoned them with kosher salt and pepper. I put my husband to work on the grill and 6-11 minutes at medium high they were done. Make sure you do not overcook your lamb, you will be extremely disappointed.

The lamb was heavenly. I think my husband ate five skewers that night. Not bad for someone who considered lamb as one of their top ten offenders. I have to say, when I made the kebobs for my mom she enjoyed them just as much. In fact, she had leftovers the next day for lunch.

Lamb is naturally lean and is rich in protein and nutrients like iron, zinc and b vitamins-particularly b12. I only buy U.S. grass fed lamb. I really believe it makes a difference in the flavor and nutrient profile of the meat. Lamb is tender with a mild flavor and is comparable in price to other cuts of beef. If you do not have much experience with lamb and want to learn more visit, The Natural Lamb Co-op at http://naturallambcoop.com/. The website is definitely an “eye opener” but also provides great recipes and cooking tips.


Mom's Plate
If there is a food that you have not tried in quite some time, I recommend giving it another try. Often, adults say they dislike foods that they have not tried since they were kids. I know that my tastes have changed substantially over the years and chances are yours has too.

Happy Grilling!


No comments:

Post a Comment