Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fresh Basil, Fresh Eats

I know there is nothing out of the ordinary about fresh basil but, last weekend when I was grocery shopping I picked up some live basil. Live basil still has it roots and it is packaged upright in a little water. Once you bring it home you place it in a glass with water and keep it on your kitchen counter. When you’re ready to use it just pluck off what you want. I love that! It makes me feel like its summer in February. I don’t know about you but I absolutely love fresh herbs!

Live Basil

Fresh basil is aromatic and full of flavor. It can be used in a variety of dishes and carries a laundry list of health benefits. Basil is high in vitamin A, K, and iron. Basil is also full of anti-oxidants and is known to have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.

Basil is most commonly used in Italian, Thai and Vietnamese foods.. One of the simplest ways I use basil is in salads. Mince up a handful and mix it in with your mixed greens. Talk about bringing things up a notch!
Tonight, I took roma tomatoes, cut them in half and placed them on a cookie sheet. I drizzled them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar (buy a decent balsamic, it will make a difference) and season them with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I roasted them in the oven at 400° for about 10 minutes. Every oven is a little different so, I would say 375°-400° for 10-15 minutes will do. I like the roma’s tender but firm. My husband on the other hand likes them soft. So, I will leave it up to you for how long you decide to cook them for. Take them out of the oven and sprinkle them with fresh minced basil.

Cooked

Roasting Roma’s does bring an intensity of flavor and sweetness that you would not otherwise get if you were to eat them raw. Cooking them also boosts their health benefits by increasing the amount of lycopene, a potent antioxidant.  Lycopene has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, and macular degeneration.

 My husband absolutely loves these roasted tomatoes and tonight he ate seven of them! I have to admit, I ate my fare share as well. Some of the tastiest foods are the easiest to make. It'll take your oven longer to heat up then it will for you to prepare this fresh eat!




Bon Appétit!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Jen. I, too, love fresh basil. I did not know I could just place the fresh with roots in water. I'm going to do this! Also, thought I would share one of my FAVORITE sandwiches of all time is Turkey BLT with basil instead of lettuce. The flavors are unforgettable. Thanks for the blog. I'm excited to make some healthy changes to our monthly menu. Your site looks like a great option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I am just starting to experiment with herbs in general let alone fresh herbs. I love this post because it makes it sound really easy for someone like me to incorporate them into my recipes. I wonder if this is something that you can do with other plants as well?
    Richelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that since living on my own (away from my partents house) one of my favorite gifts I have recieved is a little container of fresh basil my mom picked up for me at a farmers market. I have had it on the counter top and ripped leaves off for A TON of different dishes and garnishes. It adds so much flavor and seems to always re-grow enough leaves to use again the next time I feel like it. I also love the look of fresh herbs on the counter top, they are almost as pretty as a vase of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richelle, If you have a well lit window in your kitchen you can actually grow herbs all year round in pots. The herbs I use the most are Oregano, Basil, Tarragon, Dill, Rosemary, Chives and Cilantro. However, I have never grown dill, chives or cilantro in the house.I save them for outdoor planting since they tend to be more vigorous growers. If there is any specific herb you would like to learn more about, let me know. Thank you for your comments and I hope to see you again on Foodie509.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara, Thank you for posting more great ideas! Basil certainly leaves a statement in your mouth doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Austin, I couldn't agree with you more! Fresh herbs on the counter are just as pretty as a vase of fresh flowers! In my opinion, the best decorative pieces are made from food! Shocking, I know! Thank you for your wonderful comments and I hope to see you again on Foodie509.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As with Cara, I was not aware of simply allowing basil to grow live in a glass of water. I would be interested in learning about other tricks and tips that could allow herbs, veggies, etc. to be grown easily indoors as the weather can be detrimental to some.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete