Monday, January 31, 2011

Welcome to Foodie509

My name is Jennifer Gardner. I am a Registered Dietitian and a self-acclaimed Foodie. You may be asking, what is a Foodie? Well, depending on whom you ask you may receive a little bit of a different answer. To me, a Foodie is someone who has a passion for food and often sees it as a hobby. I am not a professional chef and have not attended any prestigious culinary schools. I simply love food and more importantly, fresh healthy food.

The intent of this blog is not to provide nutrition advice or post recipe after recipe. My intent is to inspire you to explore food in ways you never really thought were possible. So often, people are scared to cook and don’t allow their creativity to move into the kitchen. Ultimately, people resort to eating out as a necessity rather than an experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love to wine and dine more than the average Foodie. Often, the first thing I do while traveling is seek out unique, award-winning restaurants. I often get overwhelmed and have a hard time choosing where to go. I hate to think I may be missing out on an incredible meal.

Many of you would think my passion for food and cooking began during my nutrition studies. I have to say that there was a spark but certainly not to the level of interest I have today.  My passion for cooking began while my husband and I lived in New Mexico. I was exposed to food beyond words. Most notably, New Mexico’s red and green chile. I can’t tell you how much I love spicy foods especially those with flavors that will knock your socks off. New Mexico cuisine is innovative and influenced by a compilation of many cultures.

Today, I am proud to say that I live in the heart of Washington’s wine country. I admire all the hard work and dedication that Washington wineries have put into their wines. I am a huge supporter of local wines and do not have any one winery that is considered my favorite.  I believe that many of my friends and family may think I am more of a Wino than a Foodie!  I have to say, I do enjoy both immensely. Most who know me well, know that I enjoy drinking wine while I cook.

I think now is a better time than any to mention that as much as I love to cook and drink wine, the truth of the matter is that I travel a lot for my job and I don’t get to spend nearly as much time in the kitchen as I would like to. However, prior to my travels, I plan and prepare healthy meals for my husband. I can only imagine what he would eat each day while I am away. I ‘m pretty sure it would come in the form of a protein shake or a bar.  I do owe my husband some credit. He is in charge of grilling and does a fantastic job at it.

I hope you'll enjoy this blog as much as I will. If you take anything away from here, let it be to make small subtle positive changes in your life and dare to risk trying something new. Food is the center of all things in life and no one can deny it. I personally feel there is so much to explore, the opportunities are endless.

Cheers,
Jennifer Gardner, MS, RD





2 comments:

  1. I too am a foodie and for those who know me know I am picky and find it hard to try new foods. Recently, mostly through travel, I have been stepping outside my comfort zone and trying new foods. So I look forward to your blog. Here is a toast to.it's success my friend..with good wine..cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE FOOD and I LOVE LEARNING ABOUT FOOD! I'm constantly thinking about what to eat next throughout the day. It's something you'll find out about me in an instant. :) I'm pretty conscious about basic nutritious foods, however, I would love to learn more about food facts, and I'm looking forward to exploring food in unimaginable ways. I appreciate you making this blog available...Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete